Where the bass meets your paws.
DJ Application Procedure
DJs will be chosen out of the audition pool so please ensure your application is submitted before the cutoff. We accept demos as a link entered on the application form. It can be a direct link to the audition mix via Soundcloud, Mixcloud, Dropbox link, etc. Please ensure that the submitted demo clearly belongs to you, either by account name or in the description – we may ask for additional confirmation if submission/stage name and applicant names are not clearly attributable. DJ auditions are currently open, and the cutoff for submissions is 11:59PM EDT January 10th 2020. Although decisions made by the FE team are final, our focus is putting on the best party possible for Furnal Equinox attendees.
- Demos must be a MINIMUM of twenty five (25) minutes but no longer than sixty (60) minutes. Your demo should be reflect the styles and genres you plan to spin at the Furnal Equinox dances
- DJs will be picked based on their mixing skill, music selections, style as well as trends within the fandom. We do hope you keep in mind the taste of our attendees when selecting tracks
- You are not allowed to switch genres but you may switch and adjust tracks as per creative license. If the dance team asks for you to switch genres (from your alternative genre list on the application), reasons may be conditional to you getting a slot on the Furnal Equinox lineup
- Placement of sets is a decision made by the dance staff and cannot be changed, If you cannot make a certain night for various reasons please put that in the notes of your application, the dance team will try to accommodate
- Each member submits their own mix but under “DJ name” on the application use the name of the group, or alternatively, list each member (including yourself)
- The group submits one mix that they’ve created together and under “DJ Name” place the group name as well as list each member
Group (or B2B) sets are encouraged. To submit those sets, either:
If you are selected, you will be emailed with additional info for your DJ set.Selected DJs will be asked for second or third choice availability in the event that their chosen slot is not available(Example – A DJ only stated they are available to spin on Friday/Saturday however due to the amount of headliners on those days there are no more slots, so they will be contacted if they would like to spin on another day such as Sunday.)
DJ applicants who are not selected will also be notified by email, and are welcome to request reasoning and feedback for the decision. As we get closer to the convention, responses may take longer to get back to you, however all emails are read by our dance team.While responses and feedback are a courtesy for all applicants, all decisions are final – we ask that you respect the decisions made by the dance staff, who are ensuring the best possible lineup for Furnal Equinox’s dances.
Selection and Judging Process
The dance team recognizes that we are both participants within the community, as well as leaders and event organizers. To that end we have been asked about the equity of the DJ selection process.
- The judging panel is comprised of 3 members of the dance team based on experience and on rotation on an annual basis. Evaluations are against a standardized rubric to minimize subjective factors such as genre preferences or personal tastes in music style.
- Conflicts of interest between members of the judging panel and applicants are explicitly declared, and judges are excluded from ranking any applicants with conflicts of interest. In the event of all judges being unable to rank, other evaluators may be drawn upon to evaluate the DJ submission.
- No special consideration is granted to applicants based on criteria such as historical tenure within Furnal Equinox, status as a staff member, personal status, or GOH status (past, present, or future).
- Obvious plagiarism of DJ submissions are subject to additional scrutiny, review, and potential disqualification from future application depending on severity. This is in respect to the significant effort by DJs (like all artists) dedicated to the creation of their original content.
In an effort to continually improve, our future plans involve moving towards fully blind DJ submission evaluation to eliminate personal influence or bias within the selection process. We would like your input, and help in making an equitable process for all applicants – please get in touch with our dance team if you have feedback.
Good Luck and happy mixing. We look forward to hearing your demo!
The Furnal Equinox Dance Team